Wandering Heart includes five world premiere recordings including Wandering Heart by Latvian composer Ēriks Ešenvalds with texts by Leonard Cohen.
Commissioned by Chor Leoni as the first work funded through the choir’s Diane Loomer Commissioning Fund, Wandering Heart was premiered in April 2015. The composition has already spawned a feature-length ballet in collaboration with Ballet BC and choreographer Stijn Celis which premiered in November 2015.
Recorded in the stunning acoustic of Vancouver’s Chan Centre for the Performing Arts with GRAMMY award-winning producer Steve Barnett, Wandering Heart is the choir’s first recording since 2011 and its first under the direction of Erick Lichte.
My cycle of three songs to words of Leonard Cohen has become, in the voices of Chor Leoni and through the hands of Erick Lichte, like a symphony with a true orchestral, multi-dimensional depth.
– Ēriks Ešenvalds
- Stars – Ēriks Ešenvalds
- I Saw Eternity – Paul Mealor
- Twelve O’Clock Chant – I. Wandering Heart – Ēriks Ešenvalds/Leonard Cohen
- I Lost My Way – II. Wandering Heart – Ēriks Ešenvalds/Leonard Cohen
- The Road is Too Long – III. Wandering Heart – Ēriks Ešenvalds/Leonard Cohen
- Adspice Dominum – I. Vespergesang – Felix Mendelssohn
- Aperi oculos tuos | Qui regis Israel – II. Vespergesang – Felix Mendelssohn
- Aperil oculos tuos – III. Vespergesang – Felix Mendelssohn
- O lux beata Trinitas – IV. Vespergesang – Felix Mendelssohn
- Even When He Is Silent – Kim André Arnesen
- Sure on This Shining Night – Morten Lauridsen
- Yarzeit – Robert Moran
- Long Road – Ēriks Ešenvalds