Chor Leoni Men’s Choir is pleased to announce their third annual Canadian Choral Composition Competition (C/4). The choir’s Artistic Director Erick Lichte will select three finalist compositions, and an independent panel of judges will determine their ranking (first prize $2000, second prize $1000, third prize $500). Each finalist will also receive a Barbara Pentland Award for Outstanding Composition from the Canadian Music Centre.
In addition to the financial prizes, the composers of the three works will travel to Vancouver in May 2019, where they will receive hotel accommodation for three nights. They will hear their works sung by Chor Leoni in both rehearsal and public performance, receive a professional recording, and address the audience at the C/4 premiere on Friday, May 10, 2019 at the Orpheum Annex (8pm).
- $2000 first prize | $1000 second prize | $500 third prize;
- travel to and accommodation in Vancouver from Wednesday, May 8 to Friday, May 10, 2019);
- attendance of a workshop/rehearsal with Chor Leoni on their works on Wednesday, May 8;
- attendance of the premiere at C/4 on Friday, May 10, 2019, at ANNEX (823 Seymour St, Vancouver);
- participation in an in-concert conversation with Erick Lichte from the stage at C/4 on Friday, May 10, 2019;
- a professional recording of Chor Leoni singing the work
- The composer must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or landed immigrant
- The work may be for up to 4-part male choir, TTBB voicing; occasional divisi is allowed.
- The work may be a cappella or include piano accompaniment;
- Target length of work should be 3-6 minutes.
- The composer must secure rights to any non-public domain texts, and verification of secured rights for use of texts must be included with submission;
- Scores must be submitted in computer engraved format as a PDF file;
- Submissions must include an mp3 of the score’s midi file.
- Preference will be given to works newly composed for this competition.
Deadline for submissions: Scores must be received by February 15, 2019.
Send scores for consideration to Erick Lichte, Artistic Director of Chor Leoni, at email@example.com. Finalists will be notified the week of March 4, 2019.