(Vancouver, BC) Chor Leoni Men’s Choir and Artistic Director Erick Lichte are pleased to announce the second annual Canadian Choral Composition Competition (C/4). Three finalist compositions will be selected by the choir’s Artistic Director, and an independent panel of judges will determine their rankings (first prize $2000, second prize $1000, third prize $500).
In addition to the financial prizes, the composers of the three works will be brought to Vancouver in February 2018, where they will stay in the luxurious Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre for three nights. They will collaborate in a rehearsal with Chor Leoni, attend the premiere, participate in a dialogue with the audience at C/4 on Friday, February 23rd at the Orpheum Annex (8pm), and also receive a recording. This competition is generously sponsored by James and Leslie Carter.
- $2000 first prize | $1000 second prize | $500 third prize;
- travel to and accommodation in Vancouver from Wednesday, Feb. 21 to Friday, Feb. 23, 2018;
- attendance of a workshop/rehearsal with Chor Leoni on their works on Wednesday, February 21st;
- attendance of the premiere at C/4 on Friday, February 23, 2018, at the Orpheum Annex;
- participation in an in-concert conversation with Erick Lichte from the stage at C/4 on Friday, February 23, 2018;
- a professional recording of Chor Leoni singing the work.
- The composer must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or landed immigrant.
- The work must be for up to 4-part male choir, TTBB voicing; occasional divisi is allowed.
- The work may be a cappella or include piano accompaniment.
- Target length of work should be 3 – 6 minutes.
- Preference will be given to new works but previously performed compositions may be accepted.
- The composer must secure rights to any non-public domain texts, and verification of secured rights for use of texts must be included with submission;
- Scores must be submitted in computer engraved format as a PDF file;
- Submissions must include an mp3 of the score’s midi file.
- Preference will be given to works newly composed for this competition.
Deadline for submissions: Scores must be received by 6pm PST December 15, 2017.
Send scores for consideration to Erick Lichte, Artistic Director of Chor Leoni, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Finalists will be notified the week of Jan 15, 2018.